Saturday, June 2, 2012

2nd quarter almost done

Well the 2nd quarter of my college career is drawing closer to an end. I have exactly 10 days of class left- not that im counting- and then I will be heading to montana to work for Lance this summer doing whatever.

Since May I believe I have done quite a bit. The last post that talked about school I was just getting ready to switch to Cake station from Pies/ Tarts and just this week I switched off of Cake station and am now on Mousses/Creams, laminated doughs, and pate a choux (the stuff eclairs and cream puffs are made out of).

Cake station was ok, I did learn a few different flavors and kinds of cakes but I was really hoping to learn some more decorating skills to broaden what I already know but sadly they didnt really teach me anything I havent done already as far as that goes. I got rather bored and frustrated on that station because I felt like it was a bit of a waste of time and the teacher wasnt much help when I asked if I could try some more advanced cakes and such. Alas my wondrous skills were not to be overly tested this quarter :p

Plain white cake with buttercream
 Chocolate Cream cake
 White cake with lemon swirl
 White cake with coconut pudding in the middle with buttercream
 Drizzle cake- choc cake with butter cream


This last week I started on the Mousses and Cream station and got to make a Charlotte Bavarian- see pic below- yes I made it all. It was a lot of fun to do. This charlotte is a raspberry roulade (jelly roll) with an orange bavarian cream in the middle, coated with a glace and the border is whipped cream

This next picture is a white chocolate mousse pyramid with raspberry filling, poured with chocolate and the lines are white chocolate. Ganache rosette on top with some chocolate filigree


Showing the inside- this one has a bit much of the raspberry filling according to the teacher but it tasted amazing let me tell you!
So thats the up to date on that. I will try to add photos as I remember to take them and as we make cool stuff :)

1 comment:

Dad said...

your cake skills are getting pretty mad! good stuff. Charlottes are interesting to make. Glad you had fun. Nice chocolate work too. that takes good skills and patience.