Sunday, January 20, 2013

To be determined

As I was thinking about writing another blog post, it occured to me that since getting this job with Safeway all the posts that come to mind- with exception of the football one- seem to revolve around work. And more often than not- its the stupidity of the person I work closely with. Well today is no exception to the rule. I thought of the perfect quote to go at the beginning of this post while I was at work today but as soon as I got on the computer out the window my brain went. (yes it took the quote with it) I have a couple more cake pictures to put up today as well as a story to go with them.
Ninja Lego cake anyone?
 And his loyal minions of course
So the story behind this cake. A lady called asking if we had any ninja lego cakes. I said well I dont believe I have heard of them so I would say no we dont. She asked if she could bring in a pic and see if it was something we could do. I said sure why not and she came in a few hours later to talk to me. Now if coworker D had been on the phone or talking to the customer she would have told them flat out no it wouldnt be possible. Now it is my opinion that if the customer wants something that isnt super difficult to make then we should go ahead and make it. The customer will think its the best thing ever and will tell her friends how wonderful we are and we will get more business because of an extra 10 mintues of work.
I got to work at 9am yesterday and started working on this cake that was due at 11. D had been there since 6 but the customer specifically asked if I could make it for her (go me :)) I got going on the cake and cupcakes and got everything done. As I was putting it in the fridge, D came over and said well it looks nice but thats why we cant do special orders that arent in the book. I had a rather perplexed look on my face since D has a rather annoying habit of speaking in the middle of the conversations she is holding in her head that I am not privy to. She went on to explain that it had taken me 2 hours to do this special cake that wasnt in the book. Well I stopped and looked at her and said "D, How is it possible that it took me 2 hours to make this when I wasnt even out of BED 2 hours ago?" This conversation took place at 10am- if you will recall I started work at 9am She stopped talking to me for a while which was rather nice for a change. Sadly all good things must come to an end and she talked my ears off today.

I was working on some cake orders today and I couldnt figure out where all of my icing tips were. We should have a full drawer of them all sorted out but at least 4 of the spots were totally empty. After D left I started going through our tranist where we store icing bags and stuff in and guess what I found. Yep 33 icing tips, 12 couplers and 19 coupler ends. Dont ask me how so many got in there but it may have something to do with the 3 bags of purple, 3 bags of green, 2 bags of blue, 2 bags of orange and 2 bags of pink icing.
Really, why would someone feel this need to make a new bag of icing every single time they need a color. D's theory is that "oh I want to use FRESH" Even if I tell her I just barely made it she will make more. Honestly I think she does it because she has some control issues. Oh well, to each their own?


No comments: