Everyone has their favorite author, series, genre, whatever. It is my firm belief that an author shouldnt allow others to write books based on their series. Sometimes authors colaborate and thats not usually too bad since the orginal author is editing and making sure the book stays true to the series. One of my favorite go to authors is Anne McCaffrey. She just tells such vivid stories that you feel like you are there. There is always a good plot without getting to crazy or political and boring.
A couple years ago Anne died and her son decided to take over the series. He had done 2 or 3 books with his mother before she died and they were fairly decent but the ones he has written since her death 3 years ago are just bad. Plain and simple bad. He took a fantasy series about dragons and turned it into time travel, voices speaking through time from ancestors to decendants. He even went so far as to change the general use and shape of the wher-watchers into basically dragons. They are supposed to be quite small and similar to dogs. Used to guard things not to ride like a dragon.
Time travel should be used sparingly at the best of times because it gets way to messy, you cant go back in time unless you already have but you dont know if you already have unless you have seen you somewhere else or heard something in history that says oh hey, that was me I need to go back in time.
Todd (the son) decided that time travel would be the premise for his trilogy and spends all three books confusing you by jumping from time to time and back again and then getting stuck in the middle of the time jump and now there is a "fear knot" there and so no one can go near that time. Its so confusing and annoying and its just ruined that part of the series for me.
I suppose if you arent way into fantasy books like I am you probably wouldnt know the difference between the mother and son but I have read every single book Anne has written and her son is a poor substitute. I would rather never read another book from the series Dragonriders of Pern than have her son continue to destroy what she has created.
Once in a while an author will die and if the series is popular enough another author will be selected to complete the series. It is usually an author that has been established in his own right, in the same genre as the deceased author and those can turn out pretty good. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time that was finished by Brandon Sanderson is a great example. Sanderson is an amazing author in my opinion. Actually better than Jordan so I think he did a stellar job of completeing the series. (Im sure there are those who disagree with me but they arent here so I will say what I want.)
So, go read books by Anne McCaffrey but avoid Todd McCaffrey books. Shudder
No comments:
Post a Comment