Monday, October 6, 2014

The good

As focused on themselves as many individuals are here in the US  it never ceases to give me a small thrill to see everyone working together in emergency situations. I dont think thrill is quite the right word since it is usually in emergencies that this happens and those are never good but I do get goosebumps.

The last couple days as I've been driving around there have been a few different times where an ambulance or fire truck comes through with sirens wailing and it always does my heart good to see everyone working together to get out of the way for them. Even if you think theres no way you can move cause there is no room, the other people will make room so you can get out of the way of the emergency personel. I dont want to say I've enjoyed experiencing this in action but I just like seeing people work together who minutes before were cutting each other off, flipping birds, honking horns and generally not liking the other drivers.

I have a couple vidoes saved that are compilations of random acts of kindness, everything from a police officer stopping traffic to let a duck and her babies cross the street to a guy stopping his car and getting out to help an elderly lady cross the road.
I guess this is on my mind because I was at Walmart yesterday and I found a phone on the floor. At first I thought mine had fallen out of my pocket but I noticed the case was different and was obviously not mine. I took it up to customer service and told them where I found it and they just looked at me like I was a saint and said well God bless you thank you so much for turning it in. I find it sad that doing the right thing is so shocking to people that they feel they need to make a big deal out of it.

Last year I was at a craft expo and I lost my wallet. I didnt notice until I went to buy something and then promptly freaked out and retraced all my steps searching and asking everyone if they had seen it. Someone finally pointed me in the direction of the help desk and low and behold someone had turned it in. I was pleasently surprised to find everything in it and that all the cash was still there. Then I had to stop and wonder why I was surprised and I think its because when you watch tv or movies, it only ever shows the bad. Someone loses their wallet and their identity gets stolen and their credit is ruined and they have to deal with legal stuff for ages.
Anywho.
The point of this post was to enjoy the good that people do without thought of reward or recognition.

(These posts always end up way longer than I expected.. sorry :))

2 comments:

Steph said...

wouldn't it stink if they didn't think to look for a lost and found?

Shawna said...

Ya, or if they didnt know which store they lost it at.